Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 7:58 AM

***************************Wednesday 9/30/2015 "weekly community meeting"******************************

Piotr Zedlewski

Sep-30 8:01 AM

Hi there!

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:01 AM

Hi!

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:01 AM

Hi, Is there audio for this meeting?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:01 AM

Hey @BenPerkins

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:01 AM

no audio

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:02 AM

Hello Ura, folks.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:02 AM

With no audio, all the conversation will be here for anyone to see in the future if they can't make the meeting.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:03 AM

Let's give about 3 more minutes and then go.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:03 AM

It might be good to copy-n-paste the meeting log to Wiki or somewhere to make it easier to find and catch up on.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:04 AM

sure, good idea. 

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:05 AM

I looked and there are a few "HipChat" bots, and one for stand-ups and one for voting/polls which looks cool.  Might have to check them out later.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:05 AM

cool

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:06 AM

-Is there (how do I get) audio?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:06 AM

No audio

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:06 AM

Really?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:07 AM

yes, that way other people can see the meeting afterwards. We'll also post them at the wiki

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:07 AM

ok, so

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:07 AM

let's begin.

 

Sep-30 8:07 AM

JMW waves

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:08 AM

First, this is my first time doing a meeting like this, so, please bear with me. @cebruns please jump in with any recommendations

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:08 AM

since you do this all the time with Cinder

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:08 AM

First item on the agenda:

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:08 AM

No prob.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:09 AM

Do we want to just have one big meeting (this one) or should we have others for smaller groups.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:09 AM

We need this weekly sync meeting but it should be focused on big CoprHD topics....

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:09 AM

Depends on what we're trying to accomplish.

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:09 AM

Maybe we should start there 

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:09 AM

Personally, I think this one can be just for community announcements, discussions, etc.

Emilia Haligowska

Sep-30 8:09 AM

hi everyone

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:10 AM

Hi Emilia

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:10 AM

This isn't the place to debug issues.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:10 AM

right

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:10 AM

That should happen in regular chat channel or Google Groups.

JMW

Sep-30 8:10 AM

+1

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:10 AM

Hi JM.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:11 AM

We should be talking about "bigger" topics, maybe, "Should we focus on enabling Ubuntu"

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:11 AM

But it might be ok to just mention it, if it's something that you just ran into or something.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:11 AM

Right.

JMW

Sep-30 8:11 AM

Yeah, we can take stock on the big issues

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:11 AM

Yes - in "Open Discussion" at the end of the meeting, I think.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:11 AM

^ Talk about bugs/issues.

JMW

Sep-30 8:12 AM

This would be the place to talk about "what is our process for bug triage" - not about specific bugs

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:12 AM

ok, so, do we agree that stuff like the southbound interface group, can have a separate meeting with just those guys.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:12 AM

+1

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:12 AM

Everyone else can catch up by looking at the log, right?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:12 AM

Yes, I think so.

JMW

Sep-30 8:13 AM

we can introduce the topic here, get consensus on who should be working on it, and then hand off to them for a separate group

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:13 AM

ok.

JMW

Sep-30 8:13 AM

ura: yeah, I can scroll back

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:13 AM

hehe

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:14 AM

I meant for the smaller group meetings. 

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:14 AM

ok, then, if there are no objections, then that's decided.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:14 AM

Next:

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:14 AM

Ideally, when the community builds up, there will always be "live action" on the HipChat channel and the community will work in the open on Southbound SDK issues/etc.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:15 AM

Right, and you all can make rooms yourselves, right?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:16 AM

Do we want to get a quick status on the current ongoing projects?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:16 AM

Sure - sounds good.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:17 AM

ok, Evgeny? Do you want to go for southbound interface?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:17 AM

sure.

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:18 AM

So, Evgeny, have you received external feedback on the southbound spec? And what is it's state with regard to agreement?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:18 AM

The sdk is available, I created wiki page for southbound support and other wiki page for scaleio driver.

JMW

Sep-30 8:18 AM

oh cool

 

Sep-30 8:18 AM

JMW looks for SDK

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:18 AM

Any feedback yet?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:19 AM

I did not get external feedback so far.

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:19 AM

I mean no feedback from OSU and Intel so far.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:19 AM

I know that Reddy is travelling this week, so that may be slowing him down.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:19 AM

I know Reddy is traveling this week.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:19 AM

lol

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:19 AM

Don't know about OSU folks.

JMW

Sep-30 8:20 AM

Evgeny - but they know about it, right?

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:20 AM

Evgeny, when you say SDK is available, what does that mean?

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:20 AM

It's been completed from design all the way to implementation and pending comments, it's ready to use?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:21 AM

At this moment we did not put it publically. It is available to OSU and Intel to review.

JMW

Sep-30 8:21 AM

Evgeny - ok. We should talk about that

JMW

Sep-30 8:22 AM

Is there any reason not to publish it publicly?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:22 AM

Technically it is ready to build a first driver. We decided on meetup to run it through ScaleIO first.

JMW

Sep-30 8:22 AM

ok - which is cool

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:23 AM

We want to get more feedback before we publish it.

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:23 AM

er. whynot publish it as a draft, to get feedback.

JMW

Sep-30 8:23 AM

Ok. Usually, threatening to publish it will force others to give you feedback 

JMW

Sep-30 8:24 AM

When you say "run it through ScaleIO first" - do you mean work that team?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:24 AM

I'm with @TomWatson on that one.  Seems like a draft copy would be good to have it out there.

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:24 AM

ok. I can publish it for review as a draft.

JMW

Sep-30 8:24 AM

+1

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:25 AM

cool

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:25 AM

So is there an example of a ScaleIO driver using that interface?

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:25 AM

JMW, at the meetup we agreed to assess the viability of the design by converting an existing "native" ViPR driver to use the new SDK.

JMW

Sep-30 8:25 AM

Evgeny: do you have everything you need to do that?

JMW

Sep-30 8:25 AM

Ben: aha. Ok, thanks for that

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:25 AM

maybe you should request feedback by a specific date, to set expectations on how long people have to influence the spec.

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:26 AM

The plan is that OSU will implement the driver for scaleio based on SDK.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:26 AM

Ok - got it.

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:26 AM

has that effort (OSU) started?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:26 AM

ok, anyone else doing anything they want to talk about?

JMW

Sep-30 8:26 AM

@EvgenyRoytman excellent - and that's Shayne's team?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:26 AM

What would be a reasonable time for this date?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:27 AM

@TomWatson I don't know about OSU starting yet.  @EvgenyRoytman might know.

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:27 AM

@TomWatson We talked about this last week.

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:27 AM

2 or 3 weeks? When I reviewed, it only took an hour or two.

JMW

Sep-30 8:27 AM

the number in teh world who would have realistic feedback is pretty small. I'm thinking 2 weeks

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:27 AM

@JMW Yes - OSU/Shayne's team.

JMW

Sep-30 8:27 AM

@cebruns ok, thanks

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:28 AM

ok. 2 weeks.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:29 AM

I'm cool with that.  It might be something interesting to bring up in Tokyo/OpenStack @ura - that a Southbound SDK spec is out and an example driver is WIP.

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:29 AM

I don't think you should mark the Soutbound "1.0" until the first sample driver has been completed. You will learn a lot from that exercise.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:29 AM

totally

JMW

Sep-30 8:29 AM

lol

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:29 AM

agree.

JMW

Sep-30 8:30 AM

@cebruns great idea. Is there still a spot on the schedule for a workshop to discuss that?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:30 AM

Doubt it, but I do have a session, so I can show it there.

JMW

Sep-30 8:31 AM

@ura perfect

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:31 AM

anything else on SB SDK?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:31 AM

that is all from my side.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:32 AM

thanks Evgeny! 

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:32 AM

Good stuff!  Thanks!

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:32 AM

I do not see OSU people in the room.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:32 AM

They'll have to read the logs.  

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:32 AM

I spoke with Suzy yesterday, she was going to come.

JMW

Sep-30 8:32 AM

neither do I - we have a call with them tomorrow

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:32 AM

Maybe they aren't awake yet 

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:32 AM

Yes, that seems a slight concern. Maybe the time is inconvenient for them?

JMW

Sep-30 8:32 AM

8am? bah...

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:32 AM

They are students, in PST.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:32 AM

right. Maybe we should do this in the afternoon

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:33 AM

They probably have more morning classes also.

JMW

Sep-30 8:33 AM

we should ask them

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:33 AM

I'll check with them.

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:33 AM

Thanks @cebruns

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:34 AM

ok, is there any other currently active project going on?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:34 AM

OpenStack integration!

JMW

Sep-30 8:34 AM

nice timely topic

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:34 AM

go ahead

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:34 AM

Not a whole lot to update at this point.  We have CoprHD acting as the volumeV2 endpoint (replacing Cinder)

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:35 AM

But that's just following instructions from Anil.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:35 AM

right, do we have a wiki page for that?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:35 AM

Still some issues with creating volumes and working through debug...

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:35 AM

I don't think there is a Wiki for that.  Maybe I should record a video.  

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:35 AM

yeah, your video skills are awesome.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:36 AM

at least the narrating is way better than mine. 

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:36 AM

LOL  Once we get the end-to-end working, we will work on "automating" the keystone integration

JMW

Sep-30 8:36 AM

nice

JMW

Sep-30 8:36 AM

yeah, a demo video would be super awesome

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:37 AM

Any other projects?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:37 AM

Try to get rid of all the command-line stuff and just make it simple.  KISS principle.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:37 AM

sounds good

JMW

Sep-30 8:37 AM

crazy talk!

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:37 AM

 

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:37 AM

crazy is good

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:37 AM

Oh - one thing

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:38 AM

Someone in the public room was asking about creating an Ubuntu CoprHD

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:38 AM

I know we talked about that at the Meetup - is anyone else working on that?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:38 AM

right, I don't think there's anyone currently working on it.

JMW

Sep-30 8:38 AM

we shoudl talk to Ubuntu guys about that

JMW

Sep-30 8:39 AM

that would be great

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:39 AM

+1

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:39 AM

@JMW - how does one "talk to the Ubuntu guys"?  Is there a channel for that?

JMW

Sep-30 8:40 AM

@cebruns I know several guys in that community

JMW

Sep-30 8:40 AM

so no official channel, but I know how to reach them

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:41 AM

What do you want to ask them?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:41 AM

Ok cool.  We'll see what Avinash comes back with - they mentioned creating a HOWTO and updating the Wiki.

JMW

Sep-30 8:41 AM

@TomWatson packaging up CoprHD for Ubuntu, or at least getting it to run on an Ubuntu image, I believe

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:42 AM

@JMW @TomWatson - Yeah - probably nothing to talk to them about this second, but packaging CoprHD for Ubuntu would be nice.

JMW

Sep-30 8:42 AM

@cebruns sorry, new guy here: who is Avinash, and who is "they"?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:43 AM

Avinash was the one asking about Ubuntu in the Public room.  "They" is "Avinash".  

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:43 AM

So, I thought that maybe the next part in the agenda could be suggestions for new projects? Like this ubuntu effort.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:44 AM

Sounds good.  What else did we have on the whiteboard at the Meetup - I remember Ubuntu, Docker...what else?

JMW

Sep-30 8:44 AM

@cebruns ah ok. thanks 

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:45 AM

I think Ubuntu is the hottest item right now.

JMW

Sep-30 8:45 AM

@ura what about docker? What about docker on Ubuntu?

JMW

Sep-30 8:46 AM

@ura I do have one item - branding. Was hoping Shayne would be here to discuss that

JMW

Sep-30 8:46 AM

we need a piece of software that actually says "CoprHD" when you install it

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:47 AM

Right. Personally, I think that should be one of the highest priorities.

JMW

Sep-30 8:47 AM

+1

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:47 AM

Just heard from OSU guys. Looks like they went to the public channel. 

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:47 AM

Haha - I was going to look at replacing "ViPR" on the Portal with CoprHD but got side tracked.

JMW

Sep-30 8:47 AM

doh

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:48 AM

Thought that could be my first commit for that bottle of champagne from @TomWatson

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:48 AM

I think there's a race on that one. 

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:48 AM

I know Suzy was also interested and maybe Julio as well.

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:48 AM

@cebruns It's still available.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:49 AM

Just remember to make it configurable thru a flag at compile time.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:49 AM

Wait - Julio?  Isn't that cheating?  

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:49 AM

Lol! 

JMW

Sep-30 8:50 AM

haha

Prathamesh

Sep-30 8:50 AM

Hey guys sorry for being late, we had confusion with chat room...

JMW

Sep-30 8:50 AM

Where is Julio, anyway?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:50 AM

Not sure.

Shujin Wu

Sep-30 8:50 AM

 Finally go to right place..

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:50 AM

Hi Suzy!

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 8:50 AM

Hey OSU folks.  

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:51 AM

@PrathameshGuest2 @ShujinWuGuest2 No problem.

JMW

Sep-30 8:51 AM

Better late than never? 

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:51 AM

@ShujinWuGuest2  We're very glad to have you.

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:51 AM

@PrathameshGuest2 Hi, do you have something to update on Southbound?

Shujin Wu

Sep-30 8:51 AM

Hi, Thank you all

Tom Watson

Sep-30 8:52 AM

@Evgeny, want to recap SB?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:52 AM

Any work for ScaleIO driver at this time?

Prathamesh

Sep-30 8:52 AM

Thank you all, not much but shujin has couple of question? also wanted to know about CoprHD Document that we planned to discuss today

Shujin Wu

Sep-30 8:53 AM

I am writing a list of questions of implementation details, probably sent it to you this week

JMW

Sep-30 8:53 AM

awesome

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:53 AM

Great, thanks!

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:53 AM

Cool

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:53 AM

ok, 7 minutes to go.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:54 AM

Obviously, the channel is open 24/7 so people can always come back here and report or ask questions.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:54 AM

Or even make suggestions for next week's agenda.

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:54 AM

So, how about this for a "format"

Shujin Wu

Sep-30 8:54 AM

I have a lecture at 10... so I will need to leave soon...

Prathamesh

Sep-30 8:54 AM

Seems good idea

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:54 AM

I'd suggest Agenda on Wiki so it doesn't get lost in scroll.  

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:54 AM

Agenda:

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:54 AM

1. Announcements and news

JMW

Sep-30 8:54 AM

@cebruns agreed

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:55 AM

2. Where are we (projects)

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:55 AM

3. new project ideas?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:55 AM

4.

JMW

Sep-30 8:55 AM

4. Ura's beer fund?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:55 AM

4. wrap up and any action items needed.

lol

sound good?

JMW

Sep-30 8:55 AM

heh - yeah, that's a good agenda

cool - onward and upward

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:56 AM

ok, well, is this all? Anyone have anything eles they'd like to talk about?

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 8:57 AM

@PrathameshGuest2 Did you get your question about the CoprHD doc answered?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:58 AM

@PrathameshGuest2  I am not sure which doc. do you mean?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 8:58 AM

Also, just to double check. Does everyone have their hipchat accounts?

Prathamesh

Sep-30 8:58 AM

It was about Southbound SDK for Storage Device Drivers document

which we plan to discuss today?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 8:59 AM

I see. Is this the document about how to write a driver?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 9:00 AM

Right, there will be a separate meeting for that, you can use this same room or you can make a new one.

Prathamesh

Sep-30 9:00 AM

yes @EvgenyRoytman

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 9:01 AM

One suggestion, mark the start and ending of the meetings like this?

***************************Wednesday 9/30/2015 "weekly community meeting"******************************

Shujin Wu

Sep-30 9:01 AM

how about making a new one? this all gonna be details

JMW

Sep-30 9:01 AM

yup

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 9:01 AM

We may discuss this in separate SB meeting.

Prathamesh

Sep-30 9:01 AM

Make sense

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 9:02 AM

cool.

JMW

Sep-30 9:02 AM

@EvgenyRoytman @ShujinWuGuest2 can you guys meet up this week and give us an update next week?

urayoan irizarry

Sep-30 9:02 AM

Thank you everyone for coming. Curt and I were worried we might be the only ones here for the first one. 

Question for OSU, is this time ok for you?

Evgeny Roytman

Sep-30 9:02 AM

I will set a meeting for this . We will need to have audio.

Curt Bruns 

Sep-30 9:03 AM

It was a good first meeting.  Thanks @ura!  TTYL.

JMW

Sep-30 9:03 AM

yeah, thanks @ura!

Shujin Wu

Sep-30 9:03 AM

@ura, I would need to leave at 9:30

Ben Perkins

Sep-30 9:03 AM

Thanks everyone.

  • No labels